Wednesday, August 6, 2008

An all new low in name mispronunciation

Graeme and I have odd names. Our last name is a pretty common name so everyone gets that right, but the butcherings of our first names are just downright comical. Here are a few:

Katina

Katrina, of course. I get that more often than my actual name. :)
Atina
Bedina
Patina
Christina
Kris...and the list goes on.

Graeme - pronounced Graham, as in graham cracker.

Jermaine
Jerome
Gray-may
Gram
Grammer
Graehm
GrahEEm

People call for Graeme all the time and leave me messages to "tell her that her glasses are ready to be picked up", etc. Boy are they embarrassed when I tell them that "her" is a "him". It's actually quite funny. Today however, we have reached an all time high, or should I say low in name pronunciation. Someone called to ask us to rate a company that we had done business with recently and they asked for "Grandma"! Then they asked when she would be in and if I was "Grandma". I told her no and that Grandma was my husband. Insert apologies and blundering receptionist who had to take a few moments to regain her composure. We really are an odd couple.

No comments: